I just finished Attars, and it was a fine read! Of course I liked the Dunes setting and the cast of characters. Most of all I liked the depths of your journey through the illusions of the “reality” most of us are living in. Right away I saw I needed to take side notes to go back to later, to enjoy more leisurely the heart of your work. Below are noted just a few of the page numbers with subject matter that I marked and especially enjoyed:
28. Essences. The very last paragraph speaks volumes about understanding the essences.
51. The “two sets of books” beginning with paragraph 4 and on to the end of page 52. Wow!
69. The Book of Secrets. Underscores the difficulty in trying to have an original thought (and I’m still trying).
83. Inner sensorium. Starts with paragraph 3 and goes (in and out and all around) to the end of the next page.
167. Watchers. Makes me feel like I’m in a room of a thousand eyes. And I’m watching them watching me…
Of course I thoroughly enjoyed the entire book, but on those pages were what I feel are the crystallized “essences” of the Essences.
I’ve spent considerable time camping in Dunite coves in the Dunes, back before they became so immensely popular with the off-road crowd, and in the wilds below Oso Flaco where few seldom go. I always carried the writings of Dunites like Hugo with me to savor in the evenings after I had supper and took care of camp chores. I wish I’d had Attars with me back in those days to enjoy (and re-read) by the light of my campfire with essence of wild dune mint blooming heavy in the night air.
Thank you for your contribution towards greater awareness …